Individual Benefits of Open Science
The advantages of Open Science for individual researchers include:
- Open Science makes scientific work visible. It leads to higher citation rates as well as more media attention, partnership opportunities, career opportunities and funding opportunities.
- Open Science makes a greater impact possible and promotes knowledge exchange. Research work can thereby be used in practice and a greater societal benefit can unfold.
- Open Science makes it easier to receive constructive feedback on one’s own research and improve its quality.
- Open Science gives you more control on how and where your own work is published.
- In practicing Open Science, you learn important skills that improve your own career opportunities. The correct archiving and sharing of data is a skill that is necessary for many specialised occupations. Experiences in communicating with the public can also be helpful if you want to move to the field of communication or be active as an entrepreneur.